Philadelphia occupies a central position in the Life Sciences sector. The Wallonia Export-Investment Agency has established a partnership here with the Science Center in order to provide a structure for welcoming and accompanying Walloon companies.
Why choose the United States for the development of Life Sciences?
In recent years, the Life Sciences sector has undergone a veritable revolution that has generated unprecedented technological and industrial development in many fields of application, including healthcare, agri-food and the environment. Biotechnology is undoubtedly one of the most promising cutting-edge sectors of the future.
With around 1,400 companies, including 300 listed companies, the United States remains the world's leading bio-industry hub. Nearly half of these companies are located in the "North East BioMed Corridor", which stretches from Washington DC to Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City, making it the country's leading biotech region.This 600 km-long "Atlantic Corridor" is also home to the most prestigious universities specialising in life sciences, including Johns Hopkins University, Harvard, MIT, the University of Pennsylvania as well as the major federal research centre, the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Walloon companies consequently benefit from both:
- a favourable technological environment in the heart of a breeding ground of businesses specialising in life sciences.
- a wide range of professional services at very advantageous rates: provision of a furnished office, telephone and computer connections, assistance, legal advice, etc.
Terms of the contribution
The company concludes an occupancy agreement with the Science Center directly, with the assistance of the Wallonia Export-Investment Agency New York.
Duration of the stay: minimum 3 months and maximum 1 year.
Cost for the company : the monthly contribution charged to the company will depend on the option selected.
- cube office: 650 USD
- small office: 1500 USD
- large office: 1950 USD
- small lab: 2500 USD
- prep room: 2000 USD
- large lab: 8000 USD
The company will have all the services offered by the incubator to its tenant companies:
- Furniture and VOIP telephone
- 24/7 access
- On-site security
- Internet access and IT assistance on-site
- Individual laboratories equipped with furnishings, chemical hoods and integrated safety devices including safety showers and eye wash stations
- Shared scientific equipment including autoclave, cold room, glassware washing machine, deionised water, centrifuges and other laboratory instruments
- Email, photocopying and fax facilities
- Access to the shared kitchen and the cyber café area
- Cleaning and basic maintenance
- Access to conference rooms, event space and shared reception services
- Marketing and public relations assistance
- Contact with regional funding bodies, angel groups and venture capital companies
- Advice in the development of strategic partnerships
- Promotion among government agencies and decision makers
The company will also benefit from the support of the Economic and Commercial Attaché office (AEC) in New York.
The financial contribution of the Wallonia Export-Investment Agency
The Wallonia Export-Investment Agency proposes support for the opening of sales representative offices to support Walloon companies in their prospecting of markets outside the European Union. This makes it possible to cover a maximum of 50% of the costs borne by the company, in the form of a single flat rate for simplicity.
Conditions of the contribution
- Eligible companies: all companies established in the Walloon Region.
- The company must carry out significant activities in the Life Sciences sector and demonstrate a real interest in the American market.
- The company undertakes to delegate a duly authorised representative who will stay locally for the entire reference period (3 months minimum - 1 year maximum).